Nightmare at OR Tambo

Nightmare at OR Tambo

The state may not unfairly discriminate against anyone on the grounds of race, gender, sex or age. Everyone has the right to have their dignity respected and protected. Everyone has the right to freedom, which includes the right not to be treated in a degrading way. But...

"Pretty girl + travelling alone = suspicious," says customs official.

Like to see more ?

For a mere R305.00 per year you get the convenience of our online version including:
  • Twelve monthly issues of Noseweek delivered to your browser
  • A searchable archive
  • Access to every back issue since 1993 !
  • A downloadable PDF version

If it’s just the article you are after, you can purchase it by clicking here.

Tempted ?

For a taste of what awaits you, you are welcome to browse this free issue.

Reader's comments

Like to add your own comment ? Please click here to subscribe - OR -

Submitted by : Hans Van De Haar on 2010-10-18 14:25:08
Some years ago my wife and I arrived back at OR Tambo from a week in Mauritius. It cost me nearly an hour to explain to customs officials that the notebook I had with me was not new! Everything was searched, even my wallet was emptied out, they were rude, I was patient. The new (by now old) South Africa. Tired of all these problems.

Submitted by : Michael J Clifford of Ndola on 2010-10-17 09:03:41
Mike j : I hope the cameras reveal the procedure in which they carried out this search, surely this is not the way they have been trained... it seems they have not been trained at all (wearing civilian dress), I hope some disciplinary action is carried out , or are they also above the law.

Submitted by : Pete Swanepoel of MONTCLAIR on 2010-10-09 13:26:14
I am so sorry we treated you badly, and that we as a nation too often act this way. I'm afraid I think any sort of action will be fruitless, and it may be best to simply "move on", but I would greatly respect you if you decided "no way" and decided to follow through with action. I hope you're able to process and accept that IT'S NOT YOU; It's people who work under poor training, poor supervision and very poor leadership examples - right from the top.

Submitted by : Jane Eedes on 2010-10-05 19:01:34
A single individual taking on the might of a faceless institution, whether a corporate or the state, simply doesn't stand a chance. There is no justice in the law - it is sad but true. I feel violated on behalf of Lo, but my advice to her would be to let it go and move on. She will FAR sooner rid herself of the pain of it by moving on than by trying to fight a system stacked against her.

Editor's Note
Jane, even Mr. Nose felt violated that's why we told her story with full knowledge that her experience wasn't the first and may not be the last.

Submitted by : Brian O'Doherty of FEATHERBROOKE ESTATE on 2010-10-03 17:19:01
To sue seems the right thing to do. It can be daunting and expensive.
Perhaps an appropriate organisation could help - POWA for example.
In any event do the affadavit & follow up to see what action is taken.
A SICK STORY ABOUT SICK PEOPLE WHO CANNOT ACCEPT AUTHORITY
WITHOUT ABUSING IT.

Submitted by : Karen Campbell of King Williams Town on 2010-10-03 16:47:57
Lo, what an awful experience. Take them on and get in all the newspapers. Insist that discipilnary action is taken.

Oh yes, can someone ask the SARS arseholes if they have EVER heard of drug sniffer dogs???

Submitted by : Mike Turner of RANDBURG on 2010-09-30 13:28:13
I agree with mark: SUE THE FILTH !!!

Submitted by : Donovan Jackson of Weltevreden Park on 2010-09-30 06:55:15
Hmm. In Australia, you will be greeted, the customs official identifies themselves, asks if you are willing to participate in a search, and then proceed. They have name badges and make small talk. Isn't that nice.

Submitted by : Mark Fysh of Pretoria on 2010-09-29 16:36:16
Sue the bastards! Mark Fysh

Disclaimer

While every reasonable effort is taken to ensure the accuracy and soundness of the contents of this publication, neither the authors nor the publishers of this website bear any responsibility for the consequences of any actions based on the information contained therein.