Sweet and sour cell service

Here's a good news, bad news story.

The good news: corporate SA does indeed listen to the customer.

The bad news: it only does so when the customer goes to the press.

Like to see more ?

For a mere R305.00 per year you get the convenience of our online version including:
  • Twelve monthly issues of Noseweek delivered to your browser
  • A searchable archive
  • Access to every back issue since 1993 !
  • A downloadable PDF version

If it’s just the article you are after, you can purchase it by clicking here.

Tempted ?

For a taste of what awaits you, you are welcome to browse this free issue.

Reader's comments

Like to add your own comment ? Please click here to subscribe - OR -

Submitted by : on 2010-09-13 20:03:31
Did not renew my contract with MTN and ported my number to Vodacom. Kept getting MTN debit orders going through on my account ... wait for it.... 12 months and after about 100 phone calls, numerous visits and faxes to MTN that I no longer had a contract, I finally broke free from the tentacles. Got a call from their marketing hatch squad the other day and gave me the opportunity to really blow off some steam! Don't phone me MTN, I'll call you!

Editor's Note
Pray the Vodacom guys don't expose you to similar experience.

Submitted by : Donovan Jackson of Weltevreden Park on 2010-08-28 10:48:07
I know for a fact that Noseweek is required reading in the cellular communications industry. Spotted a copy on an Exec's desk some time ago. They surely do not like you very much, Mr. Nose...

Editor's Note
Yeah we know that much, but as long as the public is on our side, the Exec's dislike to truth surely matters less.

Submitted by : Bronwen Cuthbert on 2010-08-27 09:12:04
I too have been robbed by MTN! 1 overseas trip in July and a bill for R10,000!!!
One of the items under roaming calls is to mymtn for 3.55 min and a charge of R490.59 - iniquetous. (Don't even know what it was for). Someone needs to take them on as they are grossly abusing the man in the street. I can't wait to cancel my contract.

Submitted by : Mike Turner of RANDBURG on 2010-08-27 08:08:39
What I find intriguing is the apparent ease with which you, Mr Nose, are able to not only access someone with a modicum of sense at MTN (that in itself is an astonishing feat) but are also able to resolve this poor woman's problem with the slash of your mighty pen. How do you actually do it? Wouldn't it be a great serrvice to Noseweek subscribers if you published a "How-To"? Complete with names and personal phone phone numbers?

Editor's Note
How we do it! Well we often refuse to take excuses and instead insist on reasons. But the most powerful tool is owned by the consumers who can claim back their rightful position. Could move to another network (if they are any better)...

Submitted by : of RANDBURG on 2010-08-26 13:35:52
I have had the same thing happen to me from Dec 2009 through to July 2010. they cut my phone 3 times. After around 15 calls they said they would not charge me for this data. Then at the end of the month they deducted every cent from my account. First R11,500 , then R4,850. I called and to date have had no luck. Now after reading this..I guess its giving me a little bit of hope of recovering my money.

Submitted by : Pete Swanepoel of MONTCLAIR on 2010-08-26 11:55:30
Agree, Graham. No-one likes being robbed, BUT: Think carefully before you phone MTN or Vodacom's call centres. What price insanity?

Submitted by : Graham Anderson of Pinetown on 2010-08-26 09:10:55
This tends to happen on a regular basis! Happened to me with no recourse - pay up - and now to my daughter.
Of more concern is the inability to check usage through the MTN-Active service which has been inoperative for at least 2 months now. It is a shocking indictment for a so called cellular giant! Complain and it goes nowhere, try to phone the service centre and you go mad.
Graham

Submitted by : Brian Feldtman of Johannesburg on 2010-08-25 16:56:40
Jenna was lucky. I was also zapped for a R7 000 account (normally R200 per month) in February for a faulty roaming amount in Namibia. I cannot prove anything but was charged sky high rates for a few minutes each time over a few days of bad connections, weak signals etc Also could not get any sense from their call centre or management but they allowed me to pay it off in instalments. Cannot wait for my contract to expire so that I can kick them well into touch!

Brian

Disclaimer

While every reasonable effort is taken to ensure the accuracy and soundness of the contents of this publication, neither the authors nor the publishers of this website bear any responsibility for the consequences of any actions based on the information contained therein.