Absa's role in car theft racket

Absa's role in car theft racket

Rogue cops and bank staffers suspected of complicity.

Suspicions have been raised that staff of Absa bank are working with rogue cops to export illegally impounded vehicles. The bank and SARS are refusing to explain how two cars seized by police as stolen are now shown on the Department of Transport eNatis database to have left the country.

Like to see more ?

For a mere R305.00 per year you get the convenience of our online version including:
  • Twelve monthly issues of Noseweek delivered to your browser
  • A searchable archive
  • Access to every back issue since 1993 !
  • A downloadable PDF version

If it’s just the article you are after, you can purchase it by clicking here.

Tempted ?

For a taste of what awaits you, you are welcome to browse this free issue.

Reader's comments

Like to add your own comment ? Please click here to subscribe - OR -

Submitted by : Karen Campbell of King Williams Town on 2009-02-19 16:17:52
Mr Lackay really does avoid the issue at hand - fraud and taxpayer's money - which has nothing to do with editors or circulation or his personal opinion in what is clearly a public matter.

Thanks to unscrupulous and apathetic statements like this from civil servants - whose salaries are paid by the taxpayers - I will NOT ever be returning to South Africa to live. I have paid a lifetime of tax only to see the highest levels of corruption and incompetence that the country has ever, ever seen.

Yes, only in SA and only in the past couple of years.......

Submitted by : Hein Loots of Gordons Bay on 2009-02-09 20:11:19
I find the response from SARS despicable, and surely Mr. Lackay must have seniors that can put him in place. Come on Mr. Manuel deal with this guy.

Submitted by : John Burley of Cheltenham on 2009-02-09 15:44:00
Mr Lackay

It's people like you that remind me that my decision to emigrate was 100% correct!!!

you're a &^%(^$ civil servant .......if you were part of a proper government you would be fired!!!

Only in SA...............

Submitted by : Pete Swanepoel of MONTCLAIR on 2009-02-03 12:23:57
So Mr Lackay is aware of noseweek's circulation. Interesting.
Makes me think the Society of Corrupt Bastards* have discussed it and are deciding collectively on "the way to treat this little publication".

Principles? The law? Your job? Citizens' rights?

All secondary issues.

We may have a rogue editor, Mr Lackay (though I'd use a different word), but you have powerful "friends" who have corrupted you into not doing the job you are paid to do. Shame on you.

"Don't bother us!!" says the *SCB collectively - "We're busy lying and stealing".

Submitted by : Steve Van Niekerk of East London on 2009-02-02 10:55:43
Yes it is amazing how demands made on SARS from taxpayers are treated as opposed to demands from SARS on taxpayers.

Submitted by : Gary Drimie of Jeffreys Bay on 2009-01-30 08:20:36
Yes Please Mr Lackey, we, the public are awaiting a response you corrupt bastard! And please go ahead and sue me, because I would love to drag the basis for my badmouthing you into the public arena.

Submitted by : Anthony Krijger of Westville on 2009-01-30 00:36:35
Amazing response from the men who extort taxes from us. I always thought they were thieves, especially when I'm one second late with a VAT return.

Disclaimer

While every reasonable effort is taken to ensure the accuracy and soundness of the contents of this publication, neither the authors nor the publishers of this website bear any responsibility for the consequences of any actions based on the information contained therein.